
All right, I'm gonna give this blogging thing a shot.
We try to have what we call "family night" every week...we probably only actually do it 2 to 3 times a month. But tonight we had an extremely impromptu family night. Priscilla and I took full advantage of my bankers holiday today (Columbus Day for those of you checking your calendar) and saw the movie Fireproof and then followed that up with some Mongolian stir fry at Genghis Grill. During the date Priscilla got the hankering for some rice krispie treats; so while we were out and about we picked up some rice krispies and marshmallows and decided that when we arrived back at home we would put Kate to bed and then make some treats with Ethan.
While Priscilla melted butter Ethan and I were measuring out 4 cups of mallows and 6 cups of rice krispies when all of the sudden I realized we needed to make the most of this fun family time and turn it in to one of those "teachable moments." I knew there had to be a verse that I could use with rice krispie treats (I mean, those things are heavenly right) but I didn't know the exact location of it in the Bible. I pulled up studylight.org and started searching...I almost gave up but right as Priscilla started mixing melted mallows and rice krispies I found it:

"He [Christ] is before all things and in Him all things hold together." (Colossians 1:17)
The context of the verse is Christ's role in creation as well as being the head of the church. So for Ethan we talked about how we (Priscilla, myself, Ethan, and Kate) are like little pieces of rice krispies and Jesus is the marshmallow. In Him, our family holds together. That's pretty much it. As he gets older we will get into creation and the universal church but I think for now this was right. Will he retain it? Maybe. But more importantly, does this prove that we will be eating rice krispie treats in heaven...we shall see!
4 comments:
LOVE IT! I'm so glad you guys are doing a blog so we can see what you're up to. You know I'm going to use this as a devotional right? And thanks for the website reference, I'll have to check that out. Can't wait for more!
Booya!! Not bad... Bruner would be proud.
I LOVE IT! Um, what is Ethan wearing on his head?
I think he has marshmallow head.
Post a Comment