Merry Christmas everyone! Priscilla wanted me to do a Christmas post before I headed off to Vietnam for 9 days...so here we go:We kicked off Christmas with a bang by visiting our good friends, the McNeely's, for our annual Christmas dinner. We have specific rules governing this annual event. 1) We switch houses every year 2) The host house prepares dinner while the guests bring dessert 3) No presents for the adults. We just love this tradition, it is always very special.

This year, being Macey McNeely and Kate Swanson's first Christmas, Uncle Kevin had a special treat in store for us. I am still trying to get the details of this particular tradition but I will try to convey the parts I gathered from watching Kevin. They had a wreath laying on a table with a long white candle in the middle. Surrounding the wreath were four other candles. I believe they lit one of the outer candles on each week of December leading up to Christmas; there was also a special reading for each of those candles. Finally on Christmas, the middle candle was lit and Kevin read the Christmas story from the Bible. Absolute greatness! I believe this is a Mennonite tradition...from which Kevin and Allison were raised.

It wa s a wonderful time to spend with our good friends. The next day we celebrated Christmas as a family at home, then headed over to Priscilla's parents' house for more celebrating. More on that to come. Today, I am doing last minute preparations for my mission trip to Vietnam. Please pray for our trip as well as for the families we are leaving behind. I can't wait to report on what happens over there.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!
No comments:
Post a Comment