Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Democrat vs Republican

One day last week Ethan and Kate were outside writing with sidewalk chalk, Ethan asked me if he could draw a picture of Obama and I said sure. After he drew Obama he wrote I love Barack Obama above his picture. After he wrote that I asked him why he loved him and his response was "Well, I don't know any of the presidents but I think we should still love them even though we don't know them plus they have an important job". I was completely blown away, these children of ours are sometimes smarter than the adults around them. However, right after he wrote this, Kate took her chalk and marked out Barack Obama. I thought this was so funny. She doesn't have a clue but it made me laugh out loud. In all seriousness, this gave Aaron and I a great teachable moment with Ethan. At dinner a few nights later we talked about the verse in 1 Timothy 2:1-2 which says to pray for the kings and those who are in authority. It was a good way for us to be reminded to pray for our leaders. One of Ethan's reasons for saying he loved him was because he makes the rules. What a good lesson learned from our almost 6 year old. So, who knows, we may have some political opposition in our house in the years to come.Also if you are wondering about the spelling of Obama, Ethan thinks for some reason that his name is Orock Obama.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Absolutely love those teachable moments! I respect Ethan's point, and definately follow God's Word. However, I think Kate and I are on the same page!(: